Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back in the USA . . . for now

As most of you know already, I am back in the US for about a month. I'm not yet reachable by phone, but I'll remedy that in the morning. Hardly worthwhile news to post at four in the morning, but I am currently suffering from serious jet lag as a consequence of a momentary, unaccustomed lapse into luxury and dissipation.

Ordinarily, I suffer only mild jet lag, especially when I arrive home late at night. On a long flight like the one from Hong Kong to New York, I usually get about two hours of sleep, by forcing myself unconscious through sheer force of will. Leg cramps, general irritation, and in-flight movies generally keep me awake the rest of the time, so that by the time I arrive home I'm capable of little more than a perfunctory greeting to the loving family before I collapse into bed.
But for some reason, I was bumped up into Business Class on my flight home this time. Not for me the grim, silent struggle for knee- and elbow-space, the incessant mewling and puking of babies, or the aching, unfulfillable urge to cross my legs. This time, sated with cognac and fine cheeses, lulled by the sound of glasses and porcelain chinking on amply laden carts, I slept the deep and refreshing sleep of one savoring unearned opulence.

The more fool me. I arrived in New York uncharacteristically perky, just in time for my sister and her fiance (who are putting me up for the night) to go to bed. That is why you find me posting to this nearly derelict blog at four in the morning. Serves me right, I suppose, for straying from the straight and narrow path of Economy Class.

Anyway, here are some pictures I took of the ruined temples at Angkor Wat.





No comments: